The Fever that Changed the Journey Part Six: Weekend Home

Weekend Home


Saturday morning was an odd time.  I had two different documents to read and sign regarding cancer research, and donating the biopsy so others could use it to ‘gain more understanding’ of Neuroblastoma.  Cancer: I could hardly wrap my brain around those words.  Rhyse’s doctors were assuming he had cancer and someone already wanted a piece for research.

I wanted to keep things as light as possible for the whole family’s’ sake.  Walking around in a trance wouldn’t help anyone, especially not us parents who knew the gravity of the situation.  So with this in mind I decided we would have an hour in the morning where each parent would take a child and do something; an impromptu date.

I took my six year old daughter, Maggey, out for breakfast and then just drove.  She kept asking me where we were going, and I really didn’t know.  I just picked a direction.  As we were cruising along a familiar route I spotted an estate sale sign.  Being of the frugal sort myself, more forced by financial constraints than anything else, I decided to stop.  I do take great joy in finding that incredible deal for something I really need.  On this day I was not let down.

Somewhere during the week, just a day or two before Rhyse was admitted to the ER and then the hospital, we had a freak wind storm that caused my six person, inexpensive glass, outdoor table to explode into a billion shards of shrapnel.  I had tried a few times to sit on the ground and precariously pick them up, piece by piece. But each time I quit in frustration with the enormity of the job, and with several bleeding fingers.  The only way I could even imagine cleaning the mess up was with a shop vac.  And we didn’t own one.

To my great delight I found a large shop vac for seven dollars at the estate sale.  However, I was not just excited, I was truly thankful.  The Lord, as always, found the smallest of ways to remind me He’s there—I am not alone, and I am loved.  That small piece of delight carried me through the weekend, serving dinner to extended family on Memorial day, and back into the hospital on Tuesday morning.

The Fever that Changed the Journey Part Seven: Back for Biopsy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

That Which Doesn't Kill Me, Doesn't Make Me Stronger

To be Vulnerable is to be Real

Our Story of a Syndrome:Home from NICU-- Part Six